Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pineapple Tomato Salsa - Success!


In August of 2011, I did my best to create a pineapple/tomato salsa that would be very close to Trader Joe's. I could not find ANY recipe online that included pineapple and tomato and was suitable for canning, so I improvised. There are many recipes for fresh fruit and tomato salsa, but nothing for canning. I was only moderately pleased with that recipe. When some friends brought me a big bag of garden tomatoes, I knew I had a second chance to get this right. Guess what? I think I did. This is so good!

I took this salsa on a camping trip last weekend and it was very well received and quickly disappeared. While my new version is spicier than Trader Joe's, my tasters agreed that it was not too spicy and could even have been hotter. I think it is just right for me. I had to add a shot of Tapatio to my previous version. If you want a milder salsa, reduce the chipotle.

Many kinds of tomatoes make a colorful salsa!

I'm so excited to share this with you. I've put up 6 pint jars and plan to make more ASAP. I hope you try it.

Pineapple and Tomato Salsa
6 cups tomatoes, cored and diced (Any kind - Sungold cherry tomatoes are a nice touch)
1 7 oz. can fire roasted diced green chilies
1 fresh jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed and diced small
1 canned chipotle, diced, plus enough of the adobo sauce to equal 1/4 cup
1/4 cup tomato paste (I used the kind from a tube)
2 cups diced yellow onion
4 cloves garlic, diced 
2 20 oz. cans crushed pineapple with juice
3 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. cider vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Prepare 6 wide mouth pint jars, rings and lids and the boiling water bath for canning.

Combine all ingredients except the cilantro in a large sauce pot. Bring to a boil and simmer until desired consistency is reached, stirring frequently. Mine took about 40 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add the fresh cilantro and stir through. Carefully ladle into jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Use a knife or chop stick to poke down into the jar along the edges to release air bubbles. Wipe rims with a damp cloth and cover with lids and rings. Process in the boiling water bath for 15 minutes, beginning timing from when the water returns to a full boil. Turn off heat and allow the jars to remain in the water for 5 minutes before carefully removing to a towel lined tray. Allow the jars to sit undisturbed overnight. Check for seals and label.


3 comments:

  1. Hey!
    I have been in the same boat as you in my search for a pineapple and tomato combo salsa. Thank you for all your experimentation and results!! What would you suggest if I want to use fresh pineapple cut up instead of your ingredients using canned? As in measurements? I am inundated with garden tomatoes and am using your delicious sounding recipe today! Thanks for your help (: Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz - Sorry I didn't see your question until today! Fresh pineapple works great and it is acidic enough that adding it does not effect any of the safety concerns for this recipe. You just have to be sure to use the same amount. The cans usually say 20 ounces. If you have a kitchen scale, you can measure it in ounces. If not, you can measure 20 fluid ounces, which is 2 1/2 cups. Be sure to capture and use the juice too. The other tip I have for pineapple is that is has a lot of air bubbles in its structure, which can make it float in your canned goods. I usually mash the chopped fruit with a potato masher before measuring. You will be surprised at how much foam comes out! I hope your batch came out great! I'd love to hear about it.

      Delete
  2. I have tried this amazing salsa recipe and it is really great. Best salsa recipe i have ever tried. Check out the recipe here: https://www.recipespack.com/pineapple-and-tomato-salsa-vegkitchen/

    ReplyDelete